Sunday, December 13, 2009

We Are Santa's Elves


This year we have had a very special visitor. I think that the letter that he brought us from Santa says it best:

Dear Anna, Hailey, Adam, and Jonathan,

I am trying to keep my “Naughty” and “Nice” lists up to date, but I find that during the month of December I am just too busy to keep an eye on all the children of the world myself. So I have enlisted the help of one of my elves in keeping an eye on the four of you. He will watch you all day long, and then report back to me each night while you are sleeping with what he has seen. In the morning when you wake up, he will be back in your house. He is not allowed to talk to you, but you can talk to him all you want. If you have anything you would like to tell me, just tell him and he will make sure that I know all about it. You can even send your Christmas letters to me by giving them to him. He is not allowed to play with you, either, because he is there to work! Please take good care of him while he is living with you make sure he is warm and toasty and he will be happy. He will be in your home until Christmas Eve, when he has to come home to the North Pole to make sure I have all the correct information on you and also to help load the sleigh. I hope that you all will be good children so that he can tell me to put you on the “Nice” list and so I can bring you some great presents for Christmas!

Santa Clause

P.S. His elfen name is impossible for human children to pronounce, so you can name him whatever you would like. He is partial to the name Steven, but it is up to you.

Every once in a while, Steven and I have to have a little chat about how the kids haven't really been listening, or how they have been fighting with one another, and then the kids straighten right up and try to show him how good they can be. In the mornings when he returns from the North Pole, he is waiting for them in a different place. We LOVE Steven, and hope he will come to visit for Christmas for many years to come!

4 comments:

Lindsey and Jared said...

Oh my gosh! What a cute idea! I love it! : )

Steph said...

BEST IDEA EVER. When Chris told Jon and I about it we decided that we are definitely doing that with our kids :) So awesome!

Meridee said...

What a fabulous idea!

erin said...

Love it!!! I've heard this year of several friends who have elves staying w/ them. I think this must be a recent trend for Santa (to enlist these helpers). I must say, it's brilliant and I wish Santa would have thought of this when my boys were younger. My sister's young children have an elf that brings their Christmas PJs on the first of December when he comes to stay & watch them. It's great because they get to wear them all month long.