Thursday, October 28, 2010

Anna Marie Joyner

Well, by popular demand (hey, to me, 4 people makes it popular!) I will continue with the family blog, and try to do better at posting things and such.

I expected this post to be a little more fun, and had another subject matter planned, but then yesterday happened and suddenly my thoughts are consumed with what is coming.

As most of you know, Anna has scoliosis. She has been wearing a brace for it 23 hours a day 7 days a week for the past couple years, not to correct it but to prevent it from getting worse. Anna, who has always been an overachiever, has not one but three curves in her spine, ranging in severity. The worst of the bunch has been measuring in the 50 degree range, and from the beginning we knew that if that curve reached the 60s, surgery would need to occur. Surgery was always inevitable, we were just putting it off as long as possible to give her torso time to finish growing.

Every three months we go to see the spinal surgeon so he can measure her spine with is little level-y thing, and every six months we take new xrays with us. And every visit, nothing has really changed. And so the cycle has gone, until yesterday. Yesterday, the doctor paused over the xray, and took a little longer measuring with his level, and I knew. We are usually in and out in a matter of minutes, but not this time. This time we spent a half hour in the exam room, and when we left, we had a date for surgery.

Friday, December 3rd, Anna will be admitted to the hospital for surgery to attach a rod to her spine. The surgery will be long, followed by a few days in the hospital and then 6-8 weeks of recovery at home. Once again, we are headed into new territory with this girl - sometimes I wish she wasn't such a trailblazer. There are comforting things about the whole process: we have THE BEST surgeon, internationally known for his breakthroughs in spinal surgery. People try to get in to his practice and fail - he fell into our laps two years ago. Anna has already stayed in this same hospital for several days when she was diagnosed with diabetes, so she knows a lot about it and isn't worried about that part. The surgery date falls right before Jon is scheduled to go and open the new restaurant for Noodles, meaning that he should have no problem getting a few paid days off to be there for all the hospital stuff. We are blessed. Now we just pray and wait out the five weeks before the surgery, and then take a deep breath and go with the flow.

This morning I am heading to the temple to center myself and prepare.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

To blog or not to blog, that is the question. Lately, it has obviously been the latter. I have been posting pictures to Facebook instead. So, those of you who read this blog, (in the past tense - why are the present and past tenses of "read" the same? It is confusing. But I digress...) should I start my blogging up again? Do you really want to hear the stories that go along with our pictures, or are they cute/funny/traumatizing only to me? Let me know - if you want some blogging, I will do some. If not, that's ok too.