Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bad Moon Rising

Actually, it was not a bad moon at all, but rather a New Moon...there really needs to be a rimshot after that comment. Anyways, after swearing that I would not be one of those crazy people who went to see New Moon at midnight the night it opened, I had to eat my words. And you know what? They tasted pretty good. A little background for you: I enjoy the Twilight series of books - I don't think that they are the best thing ever written, but the stories do capture me and give me that fluttery romantic feeling and I like them. I have spent some time being ashamed of that fact, but anyone who knows me well knows that I read a wide variety of books, some really challenging and thoughtful ones, and some that are just fluff. These books fill the cotton-candy need for me. That being said, I really didn't care for the first movie. I think I blogged about it as well if you want to check that out. So while I wanted to see New Moon, I wasn't getting my hopes up, and I figured I could wait a bit to see it. Well, my good friend Brandi came into town just to go and see the movie the night it opened with her in-laws, and they were kind enough to include me in the plan, so I bought my ticket on Fandango, wondering all the while if I would regret it. I DIDN'T. Not at all.


Brandi and me waiting

New Moon was so much better than Twilight was, and it turns out that seeing it in the middle of the night with other teens and women who love the story as much as you do makes it really fun. There was a lot of sighing and whooping and whatnot - especially the first time we all saw Jacob without his shirt...I'm pretty sure I gasped. (Brandi tells me this is ok since the actor is 19, even if the character he is playing is not.) There were still things about the movie that I wish they hadn't changed from the book, and a couple of things that I wish they had put in that they didn't, but overall it was really a good adaptation. (I tend to be more of a book purist - I would rather read something than watch it any day.) It was good enough that I went back and saw it Saturday morning (making it two times in little more than 24 hours.)


Vanessa, Brandi, and me

So thank you Brandi and the Hunts (sounds like a band) for letting me tag along - and thank you to Mama Hunt for standing in line for us in the cold cold cold!

Stephanie, Brandi, me, and Sahara after the movie - don't we look happy? Stephanie took her baby girl, and Sahara was two days away from her due date - those are some die hard girls!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hey Morgan, I'm glad that you posted this. I haven't seen the movie yet and fully intend to wait for it to come out on DVD but I was really disappointed with the first movie too. I had fun reading the books and I'm glad I did even though there's a lot of things I might have written differently if they were my books haha. They are fun and I liked them. Jon disagrees but I've learned with movies and books he is very picky and I just have to let him and others say what they want. You've giving me new hope for this movie possibly being ok, and like you I'm normally a tough cookie when it comes to pleasing me with book adaptations. It's very rare that I'm happy with the way that movie makers interpret books I like :)

The Great Hunt Family said...

It was so much fun!! I am so glad that you were able to come... Next up, Eclipse!! You won't let me down, right?!! I can't wait to see you, just over a month!! Love you so much!! Oh by the way, my band, Brandi and the Hunts are playing live soon in a sleazy bar near you! You'll have to come check us out!!