Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Having Fun in the Warm California Sun

Since we didn't manage to get out much this summer due to the smoke and heat, and the furthest the kids got was Pa's house in Alta, we wanted to take them somewhere fun. We settled for Six Flags in Vallejo, since with two coupons from Lunchables we got two of our kids in for free. (Not that it still wasn't way too expensive.) We left Jonathan at home with his Aunt Jamie, and headed off to the Bay Area. It was a beautiful day - 107 in Roseville, but only 85 in Vallejo.

Our foray into the park started with some excitement. While trying to find our way to the kid's area (the park map was wildly vague and unhelpful) we passed by a Ben and Jerry's stand, from which came a women's voice calling out to us to call 911. She had been in line getting a drink when the guy inside fell to the ground and started seizing. There was no one else around, and she was trying to take care of him and couldn't get to her phone. Jon ran inside the stand to help, dialing 911 and then handing the phone to me. There were no workers around to call, and it seemed like several minutes before one came by and said that she didn't have her walkie-talkie on her and went to find one to call for help. Meanwhile on the phone I finally got through to a 911 operator, who asked me where we were in the park, and like I said before, the map was not helpful and I had no idea where I was, so I just started describing things to her - I'm sure she found my "we just passed the Butterfly House" very helpful. In the end, it took the park EMTs FOREVER to get there, but the man was coming around at that point, and we all vacated so they could do their job. If I were you, I would try to avoid having a medical emergency in a Six Flags.

Anyhow, the rest of our day went without incident. We got soaked on the river raft ride - I was the first one to get wet with a huge stream of water right down my back - good times. Hailey and Anna rode more big rides than I did - after my trip on the Medusa I decided not to ride anything else since I was not gripped by a desire to see my lunch again. But we all had a pretty good day and it was good quality family time. I think, however, that we will stick to Disneyland in the future.


Hailey's review of our day


Adam dancing after lunch - yes, I am aware the video is sideways...

4 comments:

Angel said...

I can't believe you had to save some guy! Crazy. I would suggest Disneyland, too!

Ruth said...

Do you feel like heroes?! I loved hearing all the details of your fun day! ;) At least you guys got to do something fun!

erin said...

Hey girl, looks like a good time! Noticed your cute new background from "cutest blog on the block"...it is done by my good friend (and HFPE counselor)'s sister here! Small world in blog land!

Meridee said...

That looks like a lot of fun.