Sunday, January 24, 2010

Like a Rolling Stone


Last night we went to a church activity for another ward with some friends of ours. Normally I am hesitant to crash other people's parties, but this was an exception. Who can pass up free roller skating? We went to Roller King in Roseville, a place that Jon used to skate at growing up, and which, he assures me, still smells exactly the same. Just walking in to a roller rink brought back waves of memories from my childhood.

I was excited for my kids to have the chance to go skating, since we have never taken them. We strapped on their skates and then I got mine on, (Jon was slow to get skated for himself, and then when he finally did, the guy had to get up to the top of the skate racks and all the way in the back to find his size.) At the point when I actually had my skates on, I got a little nervous, seeing as how I hadn't been on skates since approximately 1989 (when skating was still cool.) But after a couple of trips around the rink, I was feeling more confident, and I managed to not fall the whole time. I was never any good at stopping, and that hasn't changed, but I did alright.

Richard and Jon

Brandi and I on the floor

My children, on the other hand, had a really hard time getting their skate legs. The older ones have a pretty severe fear of injury, and couldn't get past the possibility that their faces, arms, or butts might meet with the floor in a painful way. Once or twice around the rink was enough for them. Which turned out to be good for Jon and I, because we were able to skate at our leisure while they played in the arcade. It was made even better by having our friends there to skate with. The Lammies are always lots of fun, and then to top it off, the Hunts drove in straight from unloading their moving van. It was good times.

I look like I am totally concentrating

Some of the pictures didn't turn out so well due to the motion and the lighting, but you get the idea.

4 comments:

erin said...

Good times. I had a total flash back to my 6th grade days at RollerWorld. I think that was universal in the 80's. The only thing missing: a picture of you and Jon holding hands and skating side-by-side on the "couples skate"!

Morgan said...

Yes, I told Jon we should skate together like that, but he only had one speed. He told me "I have no control over this."

Steph said...

HAHA I don't think I've been to Roller King since 8th grade. Was that a 1st ward activity? My dad was telling me about it and that we should go but we had other plans already. Fun times :)

Morgan said...

It was a first ward activity, and despite that fact, it was totally fun.