Thursday, April 16, 2009

Long Time Gone

Alright already, I will post some new things to the blog. It has been in the back of my mind since the end of February, but with school and kids and gardening, I haven't had the time to sit down and do anything about it. Plus I have to share the computer with another school-going person, who has been using more than his fair share lately. At any rate, I have not forgotten about all of you faithful readers out there who are just dying to know what happens in the next chapter in the lives of the Joyner family (she said, voice dripping with sarcasm.) 



In the interest of blogging more often, and not just waiting for something big to happen before I blog, I took this picture of the banana muffins I made at the beginning of March. Obviously the idea that I would just get them posted on here a day or two later to show you all my culinary endeavor just didn't pan out, but it is such a tasty looking tower that I will post it now so we can all wish we had some in our kitchens. I usually use my grandma's banana bread recipe when I make the bread, but in the interest of trying to cut out some of the sugars and fats and whatnot (also known as everything that makes food taste good) I substituted 1/4 of the flour with whole wheat flour, 1/2 of the sugar with Splenda for baking, and replaced all of the butter with this fruit compote type butter substitute made by Sunsweet. It was a complete experiment - I knew very well that they could turn out rubbery and tasteless and be good only for bouncing on the pavement outside, but I figured that worst case scenario my boys would have something new to play with! They actually turned out pretty yummy, although it could have been the fact that I had been pretty well deprived of all things baked for a while. Making them as muffins made it much easier to transport and pass out to kids, but I still like the traditional bread form better.

Ok, stay tuned, there is more goodness to come...


2 comments:

erin said...

Yum! OK, so how much time are you devoting to gardening? It sounds like it's become a big hobby! Are you taking the summer off for school?

Morgan said...

I have been gardening a lot. Well, less in the last week or two, but I spent a good few weeks rototilling land, repairing old garden beds, taking out old soil, mixing and adding new soil, weedeating around the beds, and planting. Unfortunately, I think that I planted some things too early, and may subsequently have to replace some plants. My garden is bigger and has more in it that usual this year, though.