Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Who's Gonna Drive You Home?

I would like to introduce you all to my new car, which does not actually have a name yet (we're waiting to get to know her first.) She is number 5 in the line of cars we have had, following such greats as Betty, Nellie, Bermudis, and the unnamed 1994 Mazda MPV that we were fortunate enough to inherit after I was in an accident that totaled Bermudis last November. (RIP Bermudis, we won't forget you.)

So here she is, a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, and she is every bit as classy as any SUV, plus she gets better gas mileage. The Mazda we have been driving is well-worn (to put it mildly) and, being a '94, lacks pretty much all of the creature comforts to which most of us have become accustomed. We have a tape deck (thank you D.I. for supplying us with antiquated tapes to listen to!), and the air conditioner blows air that is slightly less warm than outside. The heater doesn't work (last winter was COLD) and the padding is coming out of the seats. (However I would like to state that the Mazda was a life-saver, gifted to us by my friend Roseanne and her husband Dennis, at a time when we had no car and no money to get one. All of those creature comforts are nice but really not necessary.)

Ok, so back to the new car. She has a CD player, very comfy seats, cold AC, and the very best thing - stow-and-go seating. To those of you without a family of six, this may not seem like such a big deal, but after you spend a few road trips with bags under people's legs and between them on the seats and piled so high in the back that you can't see out of the back window, and then having to remove half of said bags every time a kid has to go to the bathroom, you learn to appreciate the small things. (Even the great Bermudis didn't have more than a six-inch gap behind her back seat. It was like playing Tetris every time we packed the car for a road-trip.) We welcome the new car to our family, and if we pass you on the road sometime, make sure you say hello!

5 comments:

Jazz Joyner Livingston said...

Oh he/she is a pretty van! I like it, it's sleak! So now that you are set for a ride, how about test driving that bad boy or girl, out here and come for a visit...I have a swimming pool!!!! And I'll make brownies!!

Angel said...

We've lost another one to the mini-van! :) Congrats on the new car.

Sarah said...

Thanks to Ruth I just found your blog. Your kids are so cute and it was fun to read all about them. Say hi to Jon for me,we really should get a big group of old Loomis-ites together and hang out. Come check out my blog too.

Sarah Webb

Meridee said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for you! It's a beauty. I think you test that van out on a long trip. . . maybe you could come and see me.
Hugs!

erin said...

Hurray for the Caravan!! We had 4 different Dodge Caravans (all nicely provided by Grant's company)- all were silver and we loved them all. As a matter of fact, we are now converted to the mini-van. Grant changed jobs, so we lost the freebie and had to actually go out and buy a van to replace our family Expedition. I am secure enough in my coolness that I don't need to try an SUV to prove how cool I am! Those stow-n-go seats are the best! Our last van was Gordo, and he is greatly missed but replaced w/ a new Honda van which has yet to be named. Happy driving!